Monday, July 26, 2010

Breaking all the Rules.


Reader 300,000 is from Leipzig in Germany- if you know who you are please contact me !

Later in August I am teaching in England before the Festival of Quilts event. The class I am teaching is called Breaking All the Rules. it is possible for students to make a couple of variations and simple colour contrast is used, but I realised that all my samples for this class are still in Australia. So I made this one as a sample- it measures 50 cm by 62 cm. This is about the extent of piecing i do, and it started out as an attempt  to see how far  you could make unmatched lines and still create a geometric effect.I also did some linocut printing in the border areas which created a nice contrast but also an opportunity for some stitching. The dark cloth is actually a deep blue and the red colour just sings in this little piece.

 I always feel this kind of piecing has a very African feel so in that mood I want to share a photo portrait made By Seydou Keita a Senegalese photographer from the  late 1950's whose portraits are just stunning, and of course i did notice that textiles are a very important part of his portrait compositions.


Thank you for all the responses about  freebie tutorials and youtubes. I will keep blogging as always- only 13 posts to go until I hit 1,000 posts since i started. That is quite a lot of photos and work and words!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prachtige kleuren
Vind de contacten via computer een verrijking voor iedereen
groeten
ann

Fiona Wright said...

you feel like you are buzzing....love the unmatched lines piece- although to my eye they look pretty close. Have had similar thoughts going around my head for some of my blockprints- love the patterns of traditional can't do the accuracy...will have to get onto it trying some ideas.
You have inspired me [as usual]
love and best wishes
Fiona