Sunday, November 15, 2009

Silk Tie Dye



I tied and dyed another piece of silk- this time bigger- the full width of the silk and 150 cm long- I really like this piece and had been thinking of machine quilting it- but I think it's screaming hand stitch hand stitch. Whilst I liked the piece I showed in the blog post before last, this one says more about dwindling waterways and the heat and drought that is the cause for the dwindling waterway- and the colours are very suggestive of the Australian outback.

If anyone would like to buy  a piece of silk done in a similar manner and of this size, the price is $200 US- and obviously I don't have much time left to make one. It takes ages to tie the rocks into the fabric and then to undo it all- and yet to use rocks seems somehow right for these pieces.

The book images are of a hand made book I made a couple of years ago and which  I found whilst doing more packing- the cover is made with Lutradur and momogami paper- it has 22 pages of rice paper used in Japanese calligraphy ( not too expertly cut!) and page one has a lino print of a unfurling fern frond  which isn't quite straight ( it was a lino cut I made but now I can't find it- don't know what happened to it) Anyway if anyone is interested the book is  for sale for $60 US - it measures 11 inches square  ( about 27cm square) The book is SOLD

And I still have a few packs of the threads  left ( see my previous post)

And for those of you who have asked whether I will continue to blog when I am in France- the answer is a most emphatic Yes!! Blogging has become a way fo life for me and has become a part of my creative process- I love the feedback I get and it takes away some of the isolation  you feel at times. I am hoping that once I have my Southern Lands quilts done, I will explore my french experience- I am not sure how yet ,but in the back of my mind  I am thinking about old textiles( with modern interpretations) and traditions maybe some woad???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dijanne, I would like to buy the book and 1 bakers dozen of yarnplease, will paypal it now, Chris B

Arashi said...

woad sounds great. it grows wild here in texas and produces indigo like effects without the harsh chemicals i am anxious to see what influence France will have and i am really glad you will continue to blog. i have been researching alsace.lorraine. what a rich cultural snd historic location. the river bargeslook like fun.

joanlil said...

Hi Dijanne. I wish you all the best in your new endeavours in France. We loved our stay in Languedoc, and hope one day to spend time in other parts.
I have had to tie my hands behind my back in order to resist your threads!
Question: did you make or buy the momigami paper?

Carly said...

Hey, just wanted to say I love tie-dyed silk, the outcomes are quite similar to a few prints I'm working on at the moment, nice work :)

Carly

Unknown said...

You made such a fascinating piece to peruse, giving each subject illumination for people to get learning. A debt of gratitude is to ensure that imparting the such data to us to peruse thistie dye t shirts