Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lamp





The original inspiration for the lantern/lamp drawing I posted the other day was this niche in one of the bathing rooms in the Azem Palace in Damascus . The Azem Palce was built in the eighteenth century and now houses a museum which is representative of Damascene houses of the period. You are normally not allowed to photograph inside the museum, and unfortunately there is not a good book available on it that I have found, however a little tip goes a long way!

So I made a lino-cut of the lantern and printed it on a couple of different background including paper to check for balance. I then transferred it onto lutradur with transfer dyes ( or sublimation dyes) and came up with this little prototype.

Joan tagged me for facts about myself meme- I am at a loss to point to anything about myself at the moment. I can't even get an interview for a real time job for which I was well suited on paper for which I applied the week before last. Never mind- I must be destined to continue on with my textile stuff .

I am teaching in Braidwood,NSW, on May 24/25 and May26/27. We are doing tifaifai in both sessions. If you are interested in attending please contact me and I will put you int touch with the organiser Fioan Hammond. Tifaifai is a really fun raw edge applique technique that result sin very mandala like quilts.

I am also teaching in Adelaide in South Australia from 5-8 June. We are doing two sessions of dyeing and two sessions of printing fabric. Again there are a few places available and if you are interested let me know and I shall put you in touch with the organiser the South Australian Quilters Guild.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lamp looks great Dijanne. Don't loose heart, I am sure it will all work out! Just keep thinking about the positive and inspirational influence you have had and are having on other people.

Digitalgran said...

(interview for a real time job for which I was well suited on paper for which I applied the week before last. Never mind- I must be destined to continue on with my textile stuff) Their loss is our gain Dijanne!

Anonymous said...

your lamp is gorgeous
Monique