Friday, August 31, 2007

Another Try

 

 


I had another ago at tieing the stones in the silk cloth- this one was a little more successful but again the black seemed to seep much more than I wanted- it has created a nice piece of cloth but not quite what I had in mind. The effect I was trying to get was to make a small journal piece inspired by the marvellous wooden door from Damascus- these doors are so big and heavy and wonderful- I liked this one because of the panels. I also want to make a larger piece for an invitational I have been asked to participate in later this year in France, creating work inspired by the word Pierre- I wanted to get the feel of rocks and earth . But it also looks very carpet like very organic- I think it could look wonderful with some hand stitching- not quite sure what thread yet.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

artmixter said...

I looked at that bottom piece and immediately thought, door. It may not be quite what you expected, but it works...feel free to send it to me if you like, I'll use it... :-)))

Deb Lacativa said...

I don't know what type of dyes you use but I use fiber reactive dyes that require soda ash to set the colors.
I've gotten crisper lines when I treat my fabric with soda ash, allow the fabric to dry, and then do whatever with the dye. Nicer definition.

Joyce said...

I like the orange piece a lot. I want to try that but not sure if I have the patience to tie so many beans into the silk. I wonder if it would work better on cotton?

Denise Aumick said...

I think this piece is marvelous (the door panels are pretty cool, too). The coloring is rich and filled with depth.
Denise

Anonymous said...

I love both of these pieces. It is always hard to do surface design technique with a result in mind! It is so serendipitous - but that is why I love it.

Anonymous said...

Is your mind still on fire quilts? Because I immediately saw that central red piece as a deep pile of embers, the left hand side being the "top", with the coolest edges of the fire at the top and bottom right. And I think it's gorgeous - I seem to be in love with red at the moment!